Welcome to Room 106!
Email address: email@example.com
Welcome to the 2015-2016 School Year!
Social Studies Textbook Link: Students can get to the link for Social Studies from the KIS website page. Go to Student Resources and click on 5th grade, then Social Studies.
September 25, 2015
Please look in your child’s Friday Folder today for the instruction letter from Mr. Fender regarding conference sign-up online. This is a new format, and we hope it makes it easier for you.
There will be a Supermoon Lunar Eclipse on Sunday, September 27th. Check it out around 8:00 PM outside, or you can access live video coverage on nasa.gov. It should be spectacular! Have a great weekend!
September 3, 2015
Students have been very busy this week! Here is an up-date of what has been going on in the classroom.
Integrated Language Arts:
- We continued to learn and apply the different Story Elements of Fiction, including Internal and External types of conflict. Students took a quiz that will be graded and returned in the next Friday Folder.
- We wrapped up the first Lesson in the Performance Coach Workbook on Fiction, and completed our first compare and contrast writing response using two different story settings.
- Students took the first Quiz from Lesson 1, Chapter 5 this week. I offered extra credit points for students who took one of the mini experiment projects to complete over the weekend. We began Lesson 2 and have been learning about the Nitrogen Cycle and the Water Cycle.
- We wrapped up Section 1 with a quiz earlier in the week. It is in the Friday Folder.
- We made The 5 Themes of Geography flip books, and learned about the 6 Essential Elements of Geography. Next week we will begin the last section of the first chapter.
Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend with family, whether you spend time at the fair, or do something fun outdoors, it is supposed to be a beautiful one!
August 24, 2015
It is hard to believe that we are starting our second full week of school already! I look forward to seeing all of you at Parent Orientation tomorrow night at 7:00 pm. Here is a quick update on what we have accomplished and a look ahead to where we are going:
Integrated Language Arts:
- We have been working on establishing the behaviors necessary to work on the Daily 3: Read to Self, Work on Writing, and Word Work. Ask your child to explain the “gathering place” and how we “go to find a spot.” We all agreed that working quietly, whether it is reading, writing, or vocabulary work, is essential for doing our best. Being able to work independently and knowing what needs to be done is beneficial for all.
- This week we began discussing different types of fiction. We also will be reviewing and discussing literary elements such as Character, Plot, Setting, Point of view, and Theme.
- We began Week 2 of Daily Language Practice, also known as DOL, which is completed for morning work and then reviewed by the students prior to a quiz.
- Everyone has a book for Read to Self
- We learned about the Design Process and worked in small groups to design, build, and test a catapult. We will be competing this week to hit 4 different targets to see what team can earn the most points with their catapult. If you want to see a hilarious video, go to You Tube and search “Catapult Trick Shots” It will amaze you!
- Students made Science Collages and told me a little bit about themselves through words and pictures
- We will begin the Life Science unit with the book The Changing Environment, Chapter 5
- Note cards will be used for vocabulary word work, as well as Quizlet
- Students completed a textbook Scavenger Hunt to learn about the many different features in the book. We discussed the online version and some of its features. I will let you know when student passwords are working.
- We began Chapter 1 Introduction to Geography by defining the vocabulary on note cards. We will also be using Quizlet for vocab practice.
- We had our pictures taken
- Organized our notebooks, binders, and folders
- Got to know each other!
- We experienced all of our Specials classes, and students who are part of the band are getting their instruments
August 17, 2015
Welcome Back! We made it through the first day of school, and although it was hot, we still accomplished a bunch. The blue folders were sent home with all of the paperwork that needs to be returned to school. We use the folders for Friday Folders, so please send them back before Friday 🙂 I know there is a lot to fill out, especially if you have more than one child, so please do not feel that you need to return everything tomorrow. If you can return the information by Friday, that would be great! I have enjoyed learning new names and finding out a bit about your children today. Thanks for sharing them with me!